A Smart Option During Unprecedented Times
Oct, 14 2020
Community colleges have become the heart of talent development for millions of American workers. While the Arizona unemployment rate has dropped from its peak in April, unprecedented challenges in unemployment remain. The Maricopa County Community College District (MCCCD) is addressing Arizona residents' employment concerns. Now more than ever, attending a community college is the smart choice.
Here are 10 reasons why:
- Listening to workforce needs. Community colleges are designed to adapt to the rapidly changing job market. MCCCD has partnered with companies like Intel, Amazon, and Microsoft to provide students with innovative programs in current, high-demand industries.
- More than a safe option. Many students across the United States have taken a gap year due to uncertainties brought on by the pandemic. With ten colleges across the Phoenix metro area, online course offering, and flex-start dates, MCCCD provides a safe environment for all students, staff, and community members to learn together.
- Pay Less. As the most extensive community college system in the nation, MCCCD continually invests in its students, making college attainable. MCCCD has invested $13.5M for additional FAFSA-based Student Scholarship Grants, approved a "Flat Rate Full-Time' option for students taking more than 12 credit hours, reduced out-of-state tuition, offers students work-study positions and scholarships.
- Increase your earning power. With a diploma from high school, you can expect to make around $746 weekly. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, get your associate's degree, and that weekly pay jumps to $877, on average.
- A fresh start. The Arizona economy faces long-term unemployment as thousands of people who lost jobs early in the pandemic remain out of work. MCCCD offers more than 40 career-focused programs through Career and Technical Education (CTE). CTE is a valuable tool to enter a meaningful career in current high demand industries.
- Smaller Classes and Strong Student Support. MCCCD offers small class sizes in alignment with our constant strive for student success. Ultimately, resulting in students receiving more attention from professors — and meaningful opportunities for mentorship from our world-class faculty.
- Easier admission policies. At Maricopa Community Colleges, we make it easy for anyone who wants to attend college. We have admission policies that remove the stress from applying.
- Add to your resume. Make your resume stand out with corresponding professional certificates, such as a Social Media Marketing certificate or the iOS Application Development certificate. On average, certificates generally only take 2-6 more classes to complete.
- Easily transfer to a university. The Maricopa Community Colleges have made transferring to in-state universities easier than ever with transfer pathways to ASU, NAU, UofA, and GCU.
- Perfect for all students. Community college is an excellent fit for all students. However, it is an exceptional fit for first-time or returning students with families, work, or other life commitments. You can achieve by attending part-time.