MCCCD’s Dr. Mark Koan Announced Among CIO of the Year ORBIE Award Recipients
Apr, 20 2022
The Maricopa County Community College District (MCCCD) is pleased to announce that Dr. Mark Koan, Chief Information Officer (CIO) and Vice Chancellor, has received the 2022 CIO of the Year ORBIE Award for Public Sector from ArizonaCIO. He is among seven ORBIE award winners recognized in key categories including leadership, global, large enterprise, enterprise, corporate, public sector, and healthcare.
“It’s incredible to be selected by my CIO colleagues for this honor and to be celebrated among the other winners of this prestigious award,” said Dr. Koan. “This win would not have been possible without the dedication of my team. They work tirelessly every day on behalf of our students, faculty and staff. I am incredibly proud of their work this past year to build and release a revolutionary new student success suite to better serve MCCCD students. This is an unprecedented achievement and I am fortunate to lead such a talented IT team - I share this win with them.”
The CIO of the Year ORBIE Awards is the premier technology executive recognition program in the United States, honoring CIOs who have demonstrated excellence in technology leadership. Since its inception in 1998, over 500 CIO of the Year winners have received the prestigious ORBIE Award.
“Dr. Koan's innovative use of technology and outstanding leadership have immensely contributed to the success and advancement of the Maricopa Community Colleges, and he has been extremely successful in building and supporting the MCCCD and Information Technology Services (ITS) communities,” said MCCCD Interim Chancellor, Dr. Steven R. Gonzales. “His continued efforts promote collaboration and create an open communication environment that helps develop cohesion and consistency within our District and across our 10 College system. This award is well-deserved, and I am thrilled to celebrate his success.”
The awards were presented at the ArizonaCIO of the Year ORBIE Awards at The Camby Hotel. Other award recipients include:
- Steve Reese, CIO, Phoenix Suns received the Leadership ORBIE.
- Mike Shanko, SVP & CIO, Blue Yonder received the Global ORBIE for organizations and multi-national operations.
- Anthony DeCanti, SVP & CIO, Republic Services, Inc. received the Large Enterprise ORBIE for organizations over $1 billion annual revenue.
- Charles Ingram, EVP & Chief Technology and Product Officer, MetaBank received the Enterprise ORBIE for organizations over $300 million annual revenue.
- David Atrostic, CIO, CCMC (Capital Consultants Management Corporation) received the Corporate ORBIE for organizations over $300 million annual revenue.
- Kelly Summers, SVP & CIO, Valleywise Health received the Healthcare ORBIE for hospitals & healthcare organizations.
To learn more about ArizonaCIO and the ORBIE Awards, please visit https://www.arizonacio.org/.