SCOTTSDALE, Ariz., Jan. 19, 2017 — Scottsdale Community College will offer free help to qualified taxpayers seeking to file their income taxes by the April 18 federal deadline.
For the third consecutive year, SCC has been designated an IRS Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) site for the 2017 tax season. IRS-certified student and community volunteers will help qualified taxpayers with free tax preparation and electronic filing.
Qualified taxpayers include those with annual income less than $54,000, persons with disabilities, older adults, and individuals with limited English speaking ability.
Volunteers will be available every Thursday from Jan. 26 through April 13, and every Saturday from Jan. 28 through April 15 in Room LIB-463.
"The VITA tax preparation program touches every part of our mission," said SCC Business professor Jim Simpson, who coordinates the VITA project. "We are enabling our accounting students to use skills they learned in class to provide a service to other students and the community, while gaining real-world experience."
Taxpayers should bring all applicable documents, such as the following:
- Proof of identification (photo ID)
- Social Security card and SS cards for all dependents or ITIN
- Birth dates for all dependents
- Wage and earning statements (Form W-2, W-2G, 1099-R, 1099-Misc) from all employers
- Interest and dividend statements from banks (Forms 1099)
- A copy of last year's federal and state returns, if available
- Proof of bank account routing and account numbers for direct deposit such as a blank check
- To file taxes electronically on a married-filing-jointly tax return, both spouses must be present to sign the required forms
- Total paid for daycare provider and the daycare provider's tax identifying number such as their Social Security number or business Employer Identification Number, if applicable
- Forms 1095-A, B or C, Affordable Health Care Statements
If you would like to file your own taxes and you make less than $62,000, you can use free tax software at www.myfreetaxes.com.
The IRS VITA site at SCC is sponsored by A New Leaf, a community non-profit that provides services to people and families in crisis.
If you go
When: Every Thursday from Jan. 26 through April 13 from 4 p.m.-8 p.m.; Every Saturday starting Jan. 28 through April 15, from 9 a.m. - 1 p.m.
Where: Room LIB-463, Scottsdale Community College, 9000 E. Chaparral Road, Scottsdale AZ 85256. Park in Lot D. For campus map, visit http://bit.ly/1eQk5m0.